Visitors

Monday 8 July 2019

Daily Diary (DD) - Day 189 of 2019

0828hrs:

When momentum is on your side, many unexpected and even unrealistic events turn in your favour.

Publicity can go either way
I had 2 short but sharp exchanges with a couple of people today who I am carefully presuming to be Pakistanis, on holiday here in the Neelam Valley.

Example 1:
An old man called me a "Jahil ke bachey" (son of an ignorant/illiterate) for asking him to pass me in a narrow stretch of road where there was still enough space for him to comfortably pass by.

Example 2:
I was stopped by a car while it overtook me, whereby the gentleman in the passenger seat peeked his head out from behind a sun cover on his window to angrily inquire from me as to why I was flying a white flag on my vehicle. I calmly explained that I was promoting peace between 2 armies. His tone increased at my response and he in turn authoritatively informed me that only UN (United Nations) vehicles could fly a white flag in this territory. I remained calm and explained that the citizens of this territory are its exclusively legitimate stakeholders. He stared at me with disdain as if to say, "I will see to it, as to how much longer you'll continue flying a white flag in Neelam Valley!" and sped off.

A white flag between the Indian and Pakistani narratives

Personally, I'm not sure how much longer I can tolerate imposed violence on my territory, just because it might suit my neighbour's warped interests.

Having cited these examples, it is important to point out that - in the main - Pakistani tourists flocking to AJK and in particular the Valley of Neelam has had a positive impact. Albeit more economic than social.

....

Some people may not believe me but I make a point of not interfering in politics within the State of Jammu & Kashmir. The following tweet has its own merit in public interest:



.........


No comments:

Post a Comment

Daily Diary (DD) - Day 116 of 2024

0800hrs: Even though I didn't sleep until 0100hrs I did get up at 0500hrs, just like clockwork. Returned to Sehnsa yesterday after a laz...