Visitors

Sunday 12 July 2020

Daily Diary (DD) - Day 194 of 2020

0114hrs:

It was only the day before yesterday that I was discussing the rising amount of threats from the 'not so deep' Pakistani State to a number of our citizens; from established politicians to writers and activists. The following post is a statement made yesterday by a very seasoned and upright journalist in AJK's capital Muzaffarabad:


As I've mentioned in a comment on this post, I have often read his clearly worded articles in Urdu media and have most often felt the need in public interest to translate his writing into English. I've failed to do so thus far but now that his life is clearly on the line, this could literally be a matter of life or death if I don't:




Malik Abdul Hakeem Kashmiri

Secretary General - Central Union of Journalists AJK

Statement - 11/07/20

Life is endearing no doubt......but?

"We will abduct you!"....."We will see to you"...."We will make you serve as a lesson (for others)"..."Confine yourself to your shoe size"....

What kind of mindset is this?

All right. It is understood that those equipped with power and resources can do whatever they want but for a limited amount of time. I am unarmed. My only weapon is my pen. Hitherto, thousands have been abducted and what would happen if I am to be included in this list? One has to die ultimately, whether today or tomorrow (now or in the future)......so be it if it is today.....

However, it should be remembered that I will not beg to stay alive. My case and my ideology is absolutely straight and clear. I talk of humans, I talk of their rights, I talk of their self determination and I talk of their genuine freedom.....

I have never been an opponent of the public of Pakistan. I have never talked against the public of Pakistan. Yes, I speak of my rights. I am of the view that my people deserve total freedom and I am so totally certain of my ideology that it is akin to the belief in all of us that the sun will rise every day.

This territory which is referred to as Azad Kashmir has transformed into an open pasture; there is an environment of coercion, every individual is a prisoner of their own circle (of thought) and stepping out of (that circle) is treason. The people's right to governance is now only in name (empty posture). Steps in contrast with the public mandate are being taken. Operating beyond one's jurisdiction has become tradition. 

The recording of telephonic conversations of our womenfolk is tantamount to playing with our self-respect. Can any such activity be considered as acceptable?

(What about) the act of bringing untrustworthy and corrupt politicians into power in Azad Kashmir for nefarious purposes and then teaching them lessons when they occasionally don't oblige? Making governments, breaking them, changing the prime minister, making self fulfilling agreements and (constitutional) amendments; What have all these issues to do with peace and integrity?

(it should be noted that the Pakistani clandestine agencies have a habit of cornering genuine criticism by turning the tables and citing their country's integrity to be on the line, when such criticism emerges. In other words, anybody who identifies corruption, malpractice or unaccountable behaviour in general by employees of the Pakistani State are victimised by the latter as inviting instability and destruction of their State)

These questions will arise....and I will continue raising these questions. The ideological front is another subject but we can never give permission to anybody to destroy our social fabric (environment). Be it the prime minister Farooq Haider, any other politician or some powerful department. The mantra of politics politics, government government, control control may well be chanted (and played). By all means be corrupt......loot (resources as much as you can).....I will write against such activities according to my capacity and as a journalist identify such (within my means).

However, when (the backlash) reaches our doorstep then life no longer holds any meaning....Any such action - whether individual or collective - cannot be tolerated under any circumstances.

As for the threats against me...I'm in no mood to fight and I have no inclination to engage in any such adventure. In all likelihood more than anything else, I may use the option of protesting underneath a banner along with my friends or those of my friends residing in Europe may stage sit-in protests outside (relevant) consulates/embassies etc. 

I would leave those who hold the mandate of threatening others to their own devices. Time will decide what ensues.

I am grateful to all those friends in the USA, Europe, Pakistan, Azad Kashmir and in particular my journalist friends for the manner in which they've shown solidarity with me...my friends in Europe have written to human rights organisations against this coercion and have furthermore pledged all possible support.

End....               


Note: Words in brackets are for emphasis or clarity in meaning.

...... 

This was pending from last year and here it is, just less than a fortnight away from its anniversary:



.....

Finally, I'm on the verge of beginning my much anticipated cycle ride from Chamb (in tehsil Barnaala where AJK begins in the South) to Sharda via Alibeg Gurdwara. Here's a map of my proposed journey:





This is how the journey began, from Dadyaal to Mirpur:



.....

Our consistency in providing a weekly Urdu programme on the internal narrative of AJK reached its 13th week today via JKTV, albeit an abridged version due to connectivity issues:



.....

No comments:

Post a Comment

Daily Diary (DD) - Day 118 of 2024

2005hrs: Got up instinctively at 0400hrs, an hour before my designated time of 0500hrs. I had more or less slept through from about 1900hrs ...