Visitors

Monday 3 June 2019

Daily Diary (DD) - Day 154 of 2019

2037hrs:

As I monitor the 6th match of the cricket world cup between England and Pakistan, I'm reminded of that day 27 years ago in Melbourne, when I was rooting for the latter because I thought it more accurately reflected the description of 'my country' even though I was being brought up - very well - in England. 

A lot has changed in that time and my sympathies are now firmly with England, despite them faltering somewhat today. They are currently 142 for 4 after 24.5 overs chasing 349 to win. With their long batting line-up, I'm still confident that they can make it.

While I'm on the subject of cricket, it was very heartening to see Bangladesh win in a calculated duel with South Africa. They've really matured as a unit since their debut in this tournament 20 years ago. The following notes from cricinfo.com are quite revealing:

"They've shown the value of preparation going into a big tournament. Arrived a month early, played a tri-series which they approached with much seriousness. Planned meticulously, won four games. Shunned experimentation and focused on results. Beat West Indies twice, including in the final to clinch their first-ever multi-nation tournament, and here they are now. On the grandest stage of them all, against a good South African side. Upsetting their apple cart with a much-superior display. Make no mistake, this is a thumping for South Africa."

I also felt New Zealand looked sharp and clinical against Sri Lanka on Saturday. 

.....

England did finally lose by 14 runs in a closely fought contest but I was personally disappointed with the performance of my two expatriates: Moeen Ali could've batted better and Adil Rashid could have bowled better. For me, that was the difference between winning and losing. I hope they both contribute more significantly to the team effort in the remaining games. England remain my favourites to lift the cricket world cup for the first time, at the 12th attempt since the tournament began in 1975. 

.....

Returning to the serious end of the world, I understand this happened earlier today in Arja, Bagh AJK:



Translated thus:


No comments:

Post a Comment

Daily Diary (DD) - Day 116 of 2024

0800hrs: Even though I didn't sleep until 0100hrs I did get up at 0500hrs, just like clockwork. Returned to Sehnsa yesterday after a laz...