Visitors

Sunday 9 August 2020

Daily Diary (DD) - Day 222 of 2020

1114hrs:

A lot of people have died this year. Many from Covid 19 perhaps but many others too whom I knew or was acquainted with. One such person was Dr Agha Ashraf Ali, a huge giant of an intellect who mesmerised me with his thoughts one summer afternoon, at his home in Srinagar in 2009. Many in the Valley of Kashmir are paying homage to him but the world should remember him and much of what he said. 

He also happened to be the father of Agha Shahid Ali, the brilliant poet who lost his life in youth in the USA in an accident. His father came through that to live a few decades beyond.

Dr Agha Ashraf Ali commanded the respect of his compatriots, irrespective of their religious orientation or political leanings. Here's an example: 


He was staunchly pro independence but took account of all humane elements in intellectual discourse. I was very fortunate to have received a glowing review of my work by this great man. It is referenced here in this very weblog.

.......

I am finally proceeding ahead to continue my bicycle ride from Chamb to Sharda, 15 days after arriving in Mirpur prior to which I had spent 7 days on the road. Next stop is Akaalgarh.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Daily Diary (DD) - Day 110 of 2024

0512hrs: I have managed to get up at 0500hrs sharp for the past 4 days in a row, like a bolt almost. That isn't where the problem lies. ...