In the interest of global peace and a possible source of inspiration for public policy everywhere, I felt it absolutely necessary to copy the following notes from a Whatsapp group:
If any nation wants to learn how to treat a minority in times of need, please use New Zealand and its prime minister as a case study:
50 Muslims were attacked and killed by an Australian born terrorist while they were praying at a masjid.
How did NZ, a tiny island of only 4 million people respond?
- The entire population mourned genuinely.
- They called it a terrorist attack when the attacker was white.
- They raised $9million + for the families affected.
- All funeral costs to be undertaken by the Government of New Zealand.
- Any person caught spreading hate news, or the attack video to be jailed up to 14 years.
- They banned guns within hours of the incident.
- A huge number of people gathered all over the country to lay flowers outside masaajid and showed their support within hours.
- Kiwi people including the New Zealand police and even gang members of the country are patrolling outside masaajid while Muslims pray.
- The azaan was played publicly on national TV, radio and every masjid around New Zealand at yesterday’s friday prayers.
- The NZ government fast tracked visas in 24 hours to allow families of the affected to enter New Zealand.
- Kiwi people opened their homes to provide free shelter, food and support to any Muslim.
- Non Muslim Kiwi girls wore the hijab to make Hijabi girls feel safer.
- The New Zealand media made sure they covered the Muslim voice in depth and detail, with full interviews with the families of those affected, front page headlines for days and still continuing.
- Prime minister Jacinda wore a hijab and personally visited the Muslim community on a daily basis to provide love, support & updates all while wearing a hijab. She hugged Muslims and genuinely cried with them
- The New Zealand Parliament invited an imam to start a parliament session with an Islamic prayer (First time in History).
- Flags flew at half mast.
- The Kiwi people filled up parks and beaches with art work, flowers and candles to show that they stand with the Muslim community shoulder to shoulder.
- Non Muslim Kiwis are actively staying around Muslims to make sure they feel welcome and at home. They are sitting, talking & eating with them.
If this happened in another country, it’s likely the news wouldn’t have even made it to the second page of the News Paper.
Alhamdulillah, so proud to be a Kiwi Muslim. Thank you New Zealand. You have made a special place in the hearts of 1.8 billion people...forever.
#Alhamdulilah #NewZealand #JacindaArden #Kiwis #ThisIsHowYouDoIt
The above helps reinforce my opinion that it is not necessary for Muslims ruling Muslims to be a more secure option for governance. It is quite possible for non-Muslims to provide a more secure environment to Muslims. The example of New Zealand could be a very significant lesson for the Indian sub-continent and its surroundings. In particular, for those who espouse the 2 nation theory.