Visitors

Thursday 9 July 2020

Daily Diary (DD) - Day 191 of 2020

1639hrs:

For those of you who get to see me working (file work indoors or public activism outdoors) will quite easily relate to how I operate.

Of late, I have spent many a day 'cooked up' in my room in Dadyaal, deep in file work. I have a ceiling fan in this room but when the sun breaks in I sweat profusely. The heat of the machines I'm working with only compound the problem!

Furthermore, I have to either sit on a hard plastic chair to work or on a soft sofa (whose foam gives way to its rough wooden structure underneath within a matter of minutes). Yes, this doesn't say much for the quality of craftsmanship in this territory but that is a whole topic in itself. Alternatively, I can can sit cross legged on my bed which is made of rope and thus is more suited to lying down rather than sitting down!

My major shortcoming throughout the past 15 years and 3 months of operating here is that I've spent a considerable amount of time outside in field work or simply put, activism. If that was blended or if half that time was spent on file work I would have had a much more effective impact on this society. 

One should only consume or generate as much information as one can manage, organise and categorise.

Since the global pandemic, I've been able to begin addressing this shortcoming.

Meanwhile, on the accounts front (public funding) I had made a conscious decision on the 10th of March this year to stop directly canvassing for public funding of public interest work. I had been very active - at times - in seeking public funds directly from the public since 2014. However, I made this decision in Hajeera on that day as I feel my work has matured to that level in our society.

The onus must now lie on the public to take initiatives for public funding. The initiative taken by the public of Hajeera that day gave me the necessary confidence to make that decision.

I don't regret it.

.......

No comments:

Post a Comment

Daily Diary (DD) - Day 110 of 2024

0512hrs: I have managed to get up at 0500hrs sharp for the past 4 days in a row, like a bolt almost. That isn't where the problem lies. ...